November is Native American Heritage Month
- Indian Maps, Mapping, and Geographic Knowledge The maps in this section have been digitized by the Library of Congress and are available for viewing and download online.
- Native American Heritage Collection from PBS Learning Media: Look at Indigenous art, history, and culture as told through the historians, artists, students, and scientists in this featured resource collection.
- American Indian History and Heritage from Edsitement: This Teacher's Guide will introduce you to the cultures and explore the histories of some groups within the over 5 million people who identify as American Indian in the United States, with resources designed for integration across humanities curricula and classrooms throughout the school year.
- National Geographic Resources: This collection focuses on aspects of the history, accomplishments, culture, and lives of American Indians.
- National Geographic’s Kids Resources
- Tennessee's Native American History: From Removal to Present Day in Tennessee: An Esri Story Map by Savannah Roth
- Native American Sites in Tennessee: These Native American History Sites come from The Ultimate Tennessee Road Trip for History Buffs from TNVacation.com
Tennessee was a popular hunting ground for Native American tribes. Learn their history when visiting The Sequoyah Birthplace Museum in Vonore; Pinson Mounds State Archaeological Park near Jackson; or Red Clay State Historic Park in Cleveland. Wynnewood State Historic Site in Castalian Springs is the largest log structure in Tennessee, at one time a stagecoach inn located at the site of a salt lick and mineral springs. The Trail of Tears National Historic Trail runs east to west across the state of Tennessee, carving a tragic story of the removal of Cherokee Indians from their ancestral homelands. The Trail of Tears film has closed captioning and an audio description version. Those Native Americans are honored at Cherokee Removal Memorial Park (ADA Accessible) in Birchwood, which includes a memorial wall, scenic overlook, and interpretive visitor center.